What is Whitening All About? Am I a Candidate?
If you have been displeased with the shade of your teeth, you may have found yourself wondering if you can benefit from professional teeth whitening. Continue reading to learn more about teeth whitening, and to determine if you are a tooth whitening candidate.
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
The protective outer layer of the tooth is known as the enamel. Over time, the foods and beverages we eat and drink - in conjunction with other things like tobacco products - may cause the enamel of the teeth to become yellow or stained.
Whitening products make use of different peroxides, which contain oxygen molecules. When oxygen molecules come into contact with a stain on the surface of the teeth, they begin to break down the bonds that exist between the stains and the enamel. This reveals a brighter and whiter smile after treatment has been completed.
What to Expect During a Professional Teeth Whitening
When you visit your dentist’s office for a professional teeth whitening using ZOOM whitening, you can expect the following:
- Alginate impressions will be taken of your teeth. These impressions will be poured into molds, which will be used to make your custom whitening trays to help you keep up with the whitening at home.
- Then the gums and lips are covered and protected from the UV light that will be applied..
- A clinical strength whitening gel is then placed on the teeth to be whitened.
- An ultra-violet (UV) light is placed over the teeth to intensify the bleaching process and provide the best results
- Your whitening session will be monitored in timed sessions, and once it has been completed, the bleach is removed, fluoride applied to protect your teeth and a vitamin E gel on your lips.
- Your visit is now complete; you may experience some slight sensitivity in the next day or so after treatment. Please let your dentist know. Trays and bleach will be given with instructions to help keep up with the new whitened teeth.
Am I a Candidate for Teeth Whitening?
While professional teeth whitening can be extremely beneficial, there are some instances in which an individual may not qualify as an ideal candidate, such as:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Patients with gum disease
- Patients with dental veneers
- Patients with dental crowns or bridges
- Patients with existing decay or damage in the teeth
- Patients with sensitive teeth
- Children under the age of 16 years old
It is important to keep in mind that restorations such as veneers, crowns, composite fillings, and dental bridges will not whiten. Only your natural teeth will lighten in shade, while your restorative work will not.
To determine if you are an ideal candidate for whitening, it is best to undergo a consultation with your dentist and dental hygienist. They will be able to help you determine if - and how - you can benefit from a professional teeth whitening session.
Willow Glen Dental Center: Best Teeth Whitening in San Jose
Willow Glen Dental Center is here to provide exceptional cosmetic dental services in San Jose.
For more information about teeth whitening in San Jose or to get scheduled for an examination, give us a call anytime at (408) 266-6144